06 April 2013

Calf Creek Falls

While grandpa worked on our van, we helped grandma work in their ginormous yard. There were trees limbs that needed moving, a lawn that needed raking, and a garden area to clean up.

Then the next day we headed out for a little day trip to the Escalante area. I had come across a hike I wanted to do and didn't think it would be too strenuous.

First stop was the Anasazi State Museum where we saw some Indian ruins.
 


Next was lunch at the trail head. We had just pulled in when a gentleman approached us. He watched us pull in, saw me get out and thought "I know that girl." It was my sister-in-law's dad who happens to live in Cache Valley. He was down there for the week with a scout group. Can I just say small world!

After filling up we were ready to start our hike to Calf Creek Falls. The website said it was 5 to 6 miles round trip. There wasn't a lot of elevation gain but we would be walking through sand.


We walked.

And walked.

And stopped to take a picture.

We walked some more.

And walked.

And sang as we walked.

At this point I was beginning to feel like a pioneer. Kiersten even commented how much it felt like trek.

We were really beginning to wonder how much further.

Just around the next corner.

Then the next corner.

At one point we were in a canyon that echoed. So we took turns yelling and making echoes. Alex thought echoes were something to be seen. "I see my echo." I kept explaining that an echo was something we heard, in our ears. "Oh." I don't think he got it because on the way back when we were at the same spot, he yelled, "I see my echo."

We had to be getting close. So most of us kept walking. Ash was our leader and would often run ahead and wait.

Finally when I was getting ready to give up and turn around, we made it.
And it was worth it. The falls were spectacular.
There were 14 interpretive markers along the trail. When we started we didn't know how many there were, but on the way back it sure make it easier to know how much further we needed to go. I also decided to keep track with my pedometer. We all thought the hike was much longer than what was advertised (and maybe it just felt long because I had a 2 year old on my back most of the way).

According to my Fitbit it was 7 1/2 to 8 miles round trip (depending on where you calculated from . . . the trail head or the car). I'm glad we didn't know that at the beginning or I don't think we would have done it, especially with a 2 year old in tow.

It was a fun, exhausting way to spend part of spring break. I love that my kids are getting old enough to do adventuresome outings.

2 comments:

Ambs said...

haha... I love that Alex. What was he crying about in the indian ruins?

Missy said...

Oh, I'm sure he wanted Ashlyn to see something inside and I wanted him to stand still for one minute to get a picture. Sometimes kids just cry for no reason other than to make noise!