27 February 2013

My rant for the day

I.N.C.O.M.P.E.T.E.N.C.Y
has been the story of my life this week and last.

Erik's math teacher has been number one on my list since Christmas. Erik is a smart kid who has pulled straight A's all year except that he never brings home any homework. I mean NONE. So when I confronted him about it, he told me he finishes it in class.Okay, for starters shouldn't homework be done AT HOME? These are assignments that don't take the entire class period to finish. He's done in 10 minutes, turns it in, and then sits for the rest of the period.

So I gave him and Kiersten an assignment to time their teachers to see how long they actually lecture versus classwork time. Erik's math teacher? Thirty minutes, and the remaining 40 minutes is spent doing what? Well, apparently Mr. Math Teacher likes to leave the classroom for sometime, play practical jokes on other teachers in their classrooms while he should be in his own classroom, and sit at his desk, perhaps facebooking, killing bad piggies, texting?

We asked Mr. Math Teacher around Christmastime for a recommendation for a math book to send with Erik for those times when he got done early and needed something extra to work on. Mr. Math Teacher told us not to worry about; he'd find some stuff for Erik. Well, that's happened a few times in the last 2 months. I won't even tell you what his creative writing teacher is like.

Because of all this we are seriously considering pulling him and possibly Nate and Ashlyn out of public school and putting them in the charter school. I've got to believe that better learning goes on there than what he's getting at the junior high. And I'm thinking I need to meet with Mr. Principal to discuss what is happening in the classroom.

But that's got to wait while I deal with our mortgage company and an escrow check that hasn't made it to our insurance company on time and who is now threatening to cancel our policy.

So what is the point of an escrow account if THEY can't even pay our insurance premiums on time. Please just let me handle my own life, my own finances. I assure you I would have had that check in the mail, on time, and it would have taken me 10 minutes. As is, I've now spent two days and at least 3 or 4 hours on the phone trying to sort the whole thing out. And the sad thing, there is still no resolution in sight and we are up against a deadline next week.

Apparently they sent the check to our agent, who hasn't seen it at all. So because there is a check floating out there in limbo, they are fighting us on issuing a new check.

Surely, there is someone COMPETENT enough to put a stop payment on the first one and reissue a new one.

I hate my mortgage company and I really despise lazy teachers.

No comments: