08 February 2013

Where is your pond?

Nothing spiritual in life is ever a coincidence.
--Elder Russell M. Nelson
Summer Garden, Russia
Re-dedication of Russia to missionary work
July/August LDS Living magazine

My goal for this year is to be more still that I might see more of the Lord's hand in my life.

It seems that this week I have seen his hand as I've come across several articles online in regards to my quest for the year. The world might say it is merely coincidental, but I believe Lord needs me to put more thought into how I might be more still.

Several days ago I read a story where Elder Craig Zwick (prior to becoming a general authority) tells of an encounter he had with President Packer. The following excerpt is taken from President Klebingat of the Ukraine, Kiev Mission since I can't for the life of me remember where I read the story.

[I]n 1983 while owning and operating a large construction company [Elder Zwick] received an urgent phone call from President Boyd K. Packer. Serious floods had entered the Salt Lake Valley and President Packer related that unless something was done he would lose a bridge behind his house that he had built with his sons and grandsons. The force of the water and floating debris were putting increasing pressure on the bridge and time was short. When arriving upon the scene Elder Zwick was met by President Packer who was dressed in his gardener’s clothes and wearing a baseball cap, and walking towards him Elder Zwick could sense the power in that servant of the Lord. The tempest was everywhere with trees lodging under and over the bridge causing such noise as to drown out any conversation

After giving instructions to his men to save the bridge Elder Zwick was invited by President Packer to join him on a short ride in his golf cart to a more secluded part of the property. Stopping by a still pond in a very serene setting with the noise of the floods far enough away President Packers said: “This is where I will spend the month of July pondering my role as the acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve. This is a place where revelatory privileges will be mine.” Then, turning to Elder Zwick, he said,
“Brother Zwick, where is your pond?”

Elder Zwick then bore testimony that this was a very powerful moment and even while the tempest was raging President Packer was concerned about the need for personal revelation.

Elders and Sisters, where is your pond?
Do you have one?
Do you go there often?
Are you receiving personal revelation?
Make sure your pond is beautiful and serene and that one can tell by your foot prints that you go there frequently. 

And my second "coincidence" of the week was a video by Mary Ellen Edmunds that she put together for Time Out for Women. The theme for this year is Higher and every month the presenters will be issuing a challenge for the coming month. The challenge this month is think on purpose. To think deeper, think higher, think more often, to do more pondering and meditating than we normally have time for. She suggests taking 10 to 15 minutes every day.

Well, I have been trying to be have more stillness in my life this past month. But it's proving to be a little difficult with my little shadow constantly by my side. In fact as I write this now, he's sitting on my lap. And for me to pray, I've resorted to running to the bathroom, shutting the door, and turning OFF the light so he can't find me.

My stillness goal this month is to find my own "pond" where I can be by myself. I'm sure if I take this to the Lord, he will help me find a suitable place.

No comments: