02 February 2013

Dear Mr. Groundhog

Dear Mr. Groundhog,

I understand your cousin Phil in Punxsutawney made some people very happy over there when he made his appearance this morning. But you, Mr. Groundhog, out here in the west, didn't fare so well.

I know you're just doing your job, but I'm really not in the mood for six more weeks of winter. It's been pretty harsh already with snowstorm after snowstorm, über cold temperatures, a driveway that refuses to thaw out creating a dangerous path to my front door, fog, an inversion that refuses to leave, and freezing rain. Yep, that's right. Freezing rain. I've never experienced that before in my life and frankly don't ever want to again. It sure made my commute to the junior high that morning a little less than ideal.

Mr. Groundhog, most winters I manage to make it outside at least a handful of times to go for a run. Not this winter. If it wasn't snowing, it was super cold. And even if I dared venture out in the cold, the air quality was horrendous. But this morning. Ah, the morning. I got to go for my run and loved every footstep of my three miles. The sun was out. The air was crisp, not too cold. I'm pretty sure I skipped part of the way.

But now back to your job. Couldn't you just stay in your hole until um . . . maybe next Thursday or Friday. Mr. Weatherman says those days might contain a few more clouds. How about I come knocking when we need you to appear and not cast your shadow.

Deal?

Thanks,
Someone itching to get out of the house

1 comment:

Angie said...

Love this letter. I feel the same way!