07 October 2012

Are you awake up there?


That was the classic quote after spending 34 hours in the car traveling to and from Edmonton, Canada last weekend.

My mother-in-law wasn't making sure the driver was awake. She merely wanted the radio turned on! Tyler either obliged or serenaded us with his Coyote song.

Whoo, yip, whoo, yip, whoo. Whoo, du, yip, whoo, yip, whoo, whoo.

All week I stewed about going and made the final decision when I was able to get my Primary responsibilities taken care of. Then Tyler called from the airport to say he was finally on his way home after a long week away, and we hung up. I immediately called him back to tell him I was going to Canada for the weekend and he decided to tag along.

It was so good to see these guys and meet little Ames. He is an absolute doll. (I might have pilfered a few pictures that I didn't take.)

I became well acquainted with all the rest areas. It's a long drive! . . .

Even for Mrs. TomTom, our navigator, who finally called it quits after 26 hours, and even if it really wasn't her fault. She'd just assume we "turn around as soon as we are able" and head back home.

The Saturn we drove had a possessed cruise control. Unreliable. We all suspect it just wanted to get us there and home a little faster.

Three hours from home and I saw my Uncle John at a gas station in Idaho Falls at 7:30 am on a Saturday. At least I'm pretty sure it was him walking out of the convenience store. I'm still waiting for confirmation on that.  

The Canadian border guard was not an especially happy fellow. I asked a simple question about bringing kids next summer and would they need a passport. "In MY country you  . . . yada, yada, yada. It's YOUR country with the problem."

Thank you, sir. And try to have a better day. I never really did get my question answered by him. Nor did I dare ask for a REAL stamp in my passport.

We had a much different experience talking to the American guard on our way back.  And unless the government changes things between now and next summer, children 16 years and younger only need a birth certificate if traveling with parents.
Tyler learned he's not quite to fast at Sudoku as he might have once thought. He and his mom participated in quite a few Sudoku tournaments where he got burned. I quietly bowed out after the first round. I've attempted 2 puzzles I found in the paper this week and wasn't able to complete either one. Maybe the 5 star difficult rating just isn't my skill level :)

Amber and Aaron were perfect hosts for the 18 hours we were there. They showed us their new home and the myriad of projects they've tackled, like a whole new kitchen makeover.
We took a walk to see their river.

They fed us wonderful food. I'm sure it being Fast Sunday had a little something to do with that. My favorite (besides the fresh carrots from the garden):
Peach Goodness

I don't really know what it was called. I just know I couldn't stop eating it and took several pieces for the road. I'm definitely going to need that recipe.

Thank you Amber and Aaron for inviting us. Can't wait for next summer.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

I want the recipe, too!