22 April 2012

Weekend adventures

Ty and Nate accompanied Erik on his 11-year-old scout overnight camp out.
This was a backpacking trip where they hiked to base camp and then spent a good part of the next day hiking to these:
TV towers which are viewable from our backyard. Unfortunately, they didn't quite make it before turning back. They were so close, in the area of the snow, but some of the boys were just not prepared for such a strenuous hike.
Nate might have been one of them? Doesn't he just look miserable. Both he and Erik accomplished something hard that day and I am proud of them for attempting. Some of the scouts continued on and made it to the top. I guess there are people who live up there and man the station one week on, two weeks off. Our scout group was given a tour. Someday I'd like to hike it and get that tour.
I like that Erik had to take a picture of the flowers they saw (which I believe is a columbine). It tells me he's paying attention to the beauty in the world around him.
While the boys were wending their way up the mountain, I got to spend a good part of my weekend trying out the new mower on the weeds in the backyard (I managed to completely bust off a sprinkler head with that new toy. Oops! Guess I get to figure out how to put a new head on.) and getting these babies in the ground while learning some about our drip irrigation.
Oh, I had one of the best Saturdays. I am always happy when I get to tinker in my yard. And I'm so happy to have my boys home safe and rested.

No comments: