04 March 2012

Consistency is the key

Our stake president issued a challenge at our previous stake conference to read The Book of Mormon by November. And then a couple of weeks later the talks in sacrament meeting were on The Book of Mormon. 

Our little family is reading The Book of Mormon for the second time and I'm hoping that we can finish by November. I think we can do it.

For me it all started 6 1/2  years ago when we moved to Stansbury Park. Our magazines hadn't quite caught up to us yet when President Hinckley issued the challenge to read The Book of Mormon by the end of the year. So I didn't even know about this challenge until September, and by that time I was a little discouraged that we would be getting a late start. I even contemplated NOT doing the challenge, but after much thinking I KNEW that this is what my little family needed. I began our family scripture readying knowing that we would not finish by the end of the year. And three years later we finished. It was such a good feeling to know we had been obedient to a commandment.

Since then we have continued to read the scriptures. We aren't perfect. Weekends and summers are very difficult for us to find a good time to consistently read. But I know we have been blessed for our efforts.

Tyler and I escaped to St. George several weeks ago to take in the home show. It seems silly since we've already built, but it was fun to get decorating ideas. Although I found myself several times saying, "What a great idea! We'll have to remember that for the next house we build." Just to clarify . . . that will never happen.
We decided to leave the three oldest at home since they had school and activities that weekend. A bonus was their aunt and uncle live next door and would be around if problems did arise.

That Monday morning following our get-away weekend, I got the kids up to read scriptures and had them turn to the chapter we were on. Nate piped up and told me that they had already read that chapter. He told me how they had gotten up Friday morning and read scriptures by themselves before heading off to school.

I have been blessed with amazingly good kids, but I know it's the consistency in reading scriptures that has blessed us. That habit has been instilled in them. I love The Book of Mormon. This past year in reading I have learned so much as I have read with different eyes. When you realize that 532 pages cover 1000 years of history, you then know that everything contained within those pages is critical to our day.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Consistency is a good message. We're trying to read the Book of Mormon this year as a family too, but it is SOOO hard with little kids. Do you guys do it in the morning at breakfast or some other time?

Missy said...

Mary, I found that when we tried to do it at night there were too many things that conflicted. So for us first thing in the morning has been the best. And it's so much easier now that my kids read fluently. We usually only read for 10 or 15 minutes. When they were little we would read out of the Book of Mormon readers a little, but someone once told me to use the actual book, that way they get used to the sound of the scriptures. When they were just starting to read I would help them read the verses that had their age in them and I read the rest, that way it would flow better. Then we started reading just a column, now we read more. I try to bring the scriptures down on their level and explain them as we read so they understand what they are reading.

Good luck! Sometimes you may wonder if it's worth all the effort, but one day is will pay off. I'd say the same thing for FHE. Because we've been consistent, my kids don't let us ever miss it.