24 July 2011

Pioneers and flour sacks

Happy Pioneer Day from some of my little pioneers. I decided long ago that I could never be a pioneer but aren't we all pioneers in some way or another, someone who marks the path for others to follow. We may not be pushing hardcarts and living out of tents and walking with holes in our shoes or no shoes at all for that matter. But we do light the way by the lives we live. Whether for good or for evil, our posterity will follow, and it is extremely important that we not be casual in the choices we make and wander off the correct trail, ending up at some other destination than where we had originally planned. I am forever grateful for my ancestors who pioneered the way for me and do honor all pioneers this day, not just the ones who pushed and pulled their way to the Salt Lake Valley.

Our stake had the opportunity to participate in the annual youth parade in Salt Lake as part of the Days of '47. The theme was Press Forward Pioneers. Erik, Nate, and Ash wore pillowcases made into flour sacks representing the Benson Grist Mill, a part of our stake's heritage.


I believe the only reason Erik wanted to be in the parade was he thought he might make it on television. We let them stay up that night to watch the news. He didn't make it, BUT he claims to have been standing behind the lady who was interviewed. AND he and Ash did make the LDS Church News, although it is a small picture and hard to see them (photo below courtesy of the LDS Church News).


Nate didn't want to do the parade at all. I made a flour sack anyway for him just in case he changed his mind and even though he kept insisting he wasn't going to do it. Wouldn't ya know it. When he learned there wouldn't be any candy thrown, he decided to participate and had a great time. I guess he was afraid of missing out on the candy loot. Ash was just plain excited and kept asking me for weeks when it was going to be.

No comments: