27 September 2008

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I read this book for book club and loved it. It's not a fast moving book and actually took me about three weeks to finish, but you'll appreciate your life a little more with all the luxuries we take for granted. It's a story of a young girl, Francie Nolan, who grows up during the early 1900s in Brooklyn, New York, who often goes hungry, who has a drunkard for a father but who loves her very much. It's a story of survival, of valuing education, of working hard. It was such a real life book and reminded me a lot of The Glass Castle, another story of working your way out of the slums. Definitely a classic to be read.

1 comment:

Sara Lynes said...

Missy do you have the Ella Minnow Pea book? I wanted to borrow it from someone. I love you Missy! I really do! You are wonderful!