10 January 2008

O Remember, Remember

"When our children were very small, I started to write down a few things about what happened every day. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. I wrote down a few lines every day for years. I never missed a day no matter how tired I was or how early I would have to start the next day. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: 'Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?' As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.

More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew. I became ever more certain that our Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I felt more gratitude for the softening and refining that come because of the Atonement of the Savior Jesus Christ. And I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance—even things we did not notice or pay attention to when they happened."
--Henry B. Eyring, "O Remember, Remember" Ensign

I loved President Eyring's talk and have recommitted to be more diligent in ending each day in thanksgiving. I started a gratitude journal a year ago and averaged an entry every couple of weeks. But with the hustle and bustle that comes with the holidays, I let it slip, and so I am resolving to write a little more frequently. Here's a top 10 list of some things I was grateful for this last year in 2007.

Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch me or my children or my family today?
1. For a washer and dryer to do the bulk of my laundry for me, giving me time for other things.

2. I'm grateful for email that allows me instant communication and allows me to stay in contact with my family.

3. What would life be like without good music . . . I mean good piano music. I love to play my favorite CD of piano solos. It calms my soul and brings me peace. Piano music speaks to me.

4. I'm grateful for the consistency we've had with family scripture study. Because of that consistency, I'm grateful my kids decided by themselves what was important and were reading scriptures together while I was out shoveling snow. I was quite surprised to walk in to the house and see all four sitting on the couch with their scriptures. They had made it through the first column and it was only 7:10 in the morning.

5. I'm grateful for President Roberts who paid me a wonderful compliment today, telling me that I was a wonderful mom and to keep doing what I've been doing.

6. Today was absolutely gorgeous. I went to the temple early this morning and got to enjoy the serenity of the morning as the sun came up. We went for our first family bike ride of the year. So I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. First, I'm grateful for sunrises. Second, I'm grateful we all have bikes and have somewhere fun to ride them.

7. I'm grateful to the Lord for helping me become a better morning person. I love getting up early, going for a walk or a run, and reading my scriptures. Morning is the hidden treasure of the day.

8. Reading a book by Sheri Dew, she said something that kind of hit me hard: "Most people who have ever lived in this world have faced their trials with no access to the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ." How thankful I am that I have been blessed the gospel to help me through my trials.

9. AIR CONDITIONING! Okay, it got hot. I remember growing up and when it got hot, we had fans and then the day we got a swamp cooler, we all huddled underneath it. How wonderful was that!

10. Garbage man. I'm grateful that someone is willing to pick up and haul away my stinky garbage every week.

No comments: