14 December 2020

Goodbye Brighton

Good morning! I hope you all had a fantastic week!

We had transfers on Thursday, and I am now serving in the Peoria ward in Aurora. I didn't realize how nice my other apartment was until coming here. It's still pretty good, but I now wake up at 2 in the morning to hear our neighbors screaming at each other, or the cops show up at our complex. We don't have a washer or dryer, the shower randomly switches back and forth between scalding hot and ice cold, and I'm back to not having a car. It's honestly been a lot of fun, but it's a very different place than where I was just at.

I'm now with Elder Gulbransen and Elder Stastny. I came in with Elder Gulbransen; we actually spent the first night in a hotel together. Elder Stastny is leaving on Thursday to go back to his original assignment of Durban, South Africa.

The ward here has a lot more older people, so it's very difficult with COVID because many can't go to church. Many of the ward members won't answer calls from us either, so it will be a lot harder to get the system going that we did in my last area. We're going to have to be more creative, but it will be good to have that challenge.

The Christmas devotional was awesome! For those that didn't watch it, I'd encourage you to go back and do so. I loved all the talks, about "swaddling" others during hard times, about appreciating the true Gift of Christmas, of how the Savior's birth brought about the reality of many people's hopes and dreams, and of our Prophet's message about the symbolism of His birth. I am so grateful to celebrate His birth, the birth prophesied of by countless prophets throughout history. I know as we ponder on the gifts He's given us, and on how He is the Gift we can give to others, that we will feel more peace, and that our Heavenly Father will help us find opportunities this Christmas season to share about Him with others. I promise that if you are bold this season in testifying of your love for the Savior, then our Heavenly Father will help you feel His love and you will have joy in Him. I say this in the name of our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, amen. 

- Elder Leary 

No comments: