22 July 2018

Hiatus

The title says hiatus but I'm not sure you can call the last two weeks a hiatus. Just a hiatus from the overwhelmingly crazy stuff. That science principle of entropy has reared its ugly head: When you don't put any work into your yard, it is naturally going to go to weeks. And I don't care. So I guess you could say I'm on hiatus from my yard duties. I may take that up again some day.

Two weeks ago we were hosting an open house.



Annette and I sighed a huge breath of relief when the night was over. We did it!
That following Monday I dropped Ash off at Beehive camp while we hosted family for a family reunion that week.

It was a week of skating, eating, playing at the park, hiking.




My friend and former sister-in-law even snuck away one night for a concert in the mountains under the stars. Just what my soul needed. A little ABBA with the Utah Symphony. (We even snuck away again this last week with our daughters to the opening night of Mamma Mia 2. My little joke was I got to see Mia [my niece] with her Mamma.)


Our family flew home the same day I sent my boys to scout camp for the week giving me my first real chance to take a breather. I must make a disclaimer here. Our family that comes to stay are the easiest house guests ever. They don't require much entertaining. They bring their own food since they are vegan. And they leave us with gifts! We were sad to see them go but I know after 10 days of being here they were ready for their own beds.

I FINALLY found myself in my classroom surveying the work I had a head of me. I won't lie. I was very overwhelmed and spent several hours just looking through stuff and wondering where to start. I finally told Ash I needed to leave there feeling like I had accomplished something. I noticed many plastic drawers labeled stickers and thought "I certainly don't need all these stickers in so many bins." I commissioned Ash and Alex to combine them all into one large tub.


And some of them didn't quite make it there.

I also found a surprise guest.

Hallelujah for a good janitor who cleaned him up for me. After three days of being there I'm feeling a little more on top of things. I even spent a good chunk of this weekend making me a yearlong curriculum guide to keep me on pace with everything. Doesn't that look so pretty!

There is still so much to do but I know the more I accomplish now, the more my year will run more smoothly.

No comments: