07 January 2018

Reading challenge

Last year I gave Tyler a vinyl wall hanging for Christmas and it sat in his office as we meandered through the dark, wondering where life was taking us.

This year I regifted it again for Christmas and had our expert graphics guy, aka Erik, position it and hang it up. Oh, how I loved the finished look it has given our library area. I gave Ash an assignment one day to count how many books we had. She gave up after 1000. I believe I own books I may never read and that is okay. Last year I simply wanted to read more and write more and I came off conqueror.

I finished 40 books in the course of a year. For some that may be a little and for some that may be a lot. For me, I was surprised when I pulled up the number. Especially given this past year and the busyness of it. I read several books devoted toward school stuff. And I began reading more young adult books which don't require as much digestion as adult books tend to. Nor are they as lengthy.

My stats say I read over 10,000 pages. That makes me feel like a wimp as I recall my 4th grade year. I had a teacher, Miss Maxwell, who issued a reading challenge. For anyone who read more than 10,000 pages in a term, she would take them out to lunch.
*Surprise birthday party Miss Maxwell came to.

Well, you didn't have to ask me twice. I was all over it and ended up being the only one who actually accomplished that goal.

So far this year I'm finishing up an audio book (Lone Survivor), trying to complete a book club read that may not happen (The Killer Angels), and have started a novella by an author that intimidates me (The Shawshank Redemption) -- Stephen King.

No comments: