30 October 2016

Game on

Last Sunday was not a good day. Not only did the future look bleak but there were several other weights heaped on my shoulders that were totally unrelated to the job loss announcement we had received. 

Life felt very heavy.

There are still many unknowns but I'm feeling way more confident this week.

As a family we have cut down our spending to the very minimal. However, the hardest to give up has been the Dish bill. The Jazz just started their season and its rumored to be a good one. And our Dish hard drive houses a lot of movies we may end up losing, should we cut it.

I know, I know. Cry me a river.

Kiersten commented, "We are not good a being poor."

Game on, girl.

About a month ago, Kiersten and I did a little tour of Utah Valley University. She's narrowed her college choices down to either this school or Utah State and was feeling pretty certain she wants to attend UVU. But to help in the decision process I signed the whole family up for a tour to Utah State in Logan because, hey, free Aggie ice cream.

Tyler mentioned that there was a home football game that night and I should see about possible discount tickets. So I called and scored not discount tickets but FREE tickets.

Life did a topsy turvy and despite trying to save money by limiting our gas, Tyler and I decided this trip still needed to happen. So began our day of experimentation: could we spend a day in Logan on little or no money?

On our way we stopped into Costco to have tires rotated: $0 for rotation.

Lunch was tailgated out of our cooler at the bottom of Old Main Hill: $0 since it all came from our house.

Took the tour of campus and felt like I had come home after 18 years. School was in session; students were about; it was nostalgic: $0 for tour.

Coupons were awarded for Aggie ice cream: $0 for single scoop cups.

Visited the Deseret Industries. Ty is the only household member without any USU gear. He rummaged and found a t-shirt for $1. I found a book, The First Days of School for $1.50 and a piece of sheet music for $.50. (I'm leaning pretty heavily toward becoming an elementary teacher and getting my masters, hence the book seemed invaluable): $3.00 for our total purchases.

Got into Sam's Club on an expired card and tried every sample for dinner. Cheap? Yep. At the end of our sample tour we got a couple of pizza slices and hot dogs: $6 or $1 per person.

We made it through the first quarter of the game relatively dry before the rains hit in a steady downpour. By halftime we were all drowned little rats ready for home. All of except Ash who stayed home due to sickness. Football tickets: $0.

Are we good at being poor? I think we did a mighty fine job on our jaunt to Logan. That little day trip, besides the gas, cost us $9 total.

After our fun day, Kiersten is still pretty sure she wants to be a Wolverine rather than an Aggie. These are not easy decisions and I hope those folks at UVU pull through and get her that scholarship she deserves.

These are the days of . . .
*much fasting and prayer
*being poor
*sprucing up resumes
*job applications

No comments: