26 June 2015

Summer . . . so far

Three birthdays . . . kind of.

We celebrated Kiersten's 4 days before school let out.
Erik's was 4 days later on the last day of school.
Alex turned five 4 days ago.

Kiersten is playing her wrapping paper. I think she liked it more than any real present.


Her birthday happened to fall on Siesta Sunday and since it was a big one -- 16 -- I invited some of her friends over for cake and ice cream.


Erik received a gift from Savanna Lawson, a girl from our old neighborhood who dubbed him Roadrunner in first grade since he always ran to school. They were in the same English class this year, and for the Shakespeare unit, Erik got cast as Romeo and Savanna was Juliet.



Alex reminded me months in advance that since he was turning 5, it was the big year for his first birthday party. I do believe this was the most low key party I've ever come up with. Splash pad, popsicles and chocolate chip-m&m cookies, open presents, send kids home with a punch balloon. The best part is my older kids pretty much ran the show.






Payson Temple open house was part of our summer plans and Training Table afterwards.





A last minute race for Kiersten with her friend Hannah.

Quick day trip to Ogden to the Dinosaur Park and Smith & Edwards -- funnest store around.


Seems like we hit the dino park every so often. First time ever was on Erik's 4th birthday and the terror that filled his little heart. It took us the entire trip through the park to convince him they weren't real. Then we had to go back through again and see it with new eyes.

2011


2007

2004 (notice Erik is not in this picture)






Youth Conference in Ferron. One of our impromtu night activites was instigated by the Tovar family. We had a little rap fest where the kids would face off and come up with a rap that was complimentary about the other person. What a riot! My rap pretty much sums up the amazing group of young people we have in our ward.

"We have the best Youth in the entire stake. The live in a Ward on the Point by the Lake!" :) Get it? Lake Point Ward Youth. Ha ha.


I won't lie; it was a little stressful knowing we were headed home and I just prayed they would all behave themselves and not be stupid. They far exceeded my expectations. I didn't stress a minute we were there. The feedback I got afterwards was that they all want to come again and how much they loved all the free time. They pretty much lived in the pond the entire two days.



Friday morning we went on a hike out to some Indian writings and then later that day we performed a little talent show at the nursing home.













Toward evening a game of capture the flag commenced. The pond was neutral and each team was on one side of the pond and the other. I went undercover for one team and acted as the garbage lady picking up trash when really I was gathering information about where their flag was. As I came upon the flag I debated about how I was going to get it back to the other side. Meghan, who was guarding the flag somewhat, asked if I was playing and before I could really respond she said, "Oh, you're just the garbage lady." A minute later I took that flag and jumped in the pond, clothes and all, yelling, "I got their flag" and swam it to the other side. I took everyone by surprise since I hadn't been in the pond yet. It was a very clever move and won me many high hives, hugs, glares, cheater comments. It was definitely a moment that will live on in infamy with the youth of our ward.
Rootbeer tasting party for Fathr's Day. I do believe the winner was IBC.


And tomorrow we are hosting a neighborhood party. Welcome summer!

No comments: