05 September 2014

First birthday gift for Tyler

Ty's birthday rounds out our birthdays for the year. Mine begins the year, his ends the year with all the kiddos in between. I guess we are the bookends.

He tried grilling some shrimp, something neither of us have ever done. They weren't too shabby, although the next round we won't cook them quite as long. 

Then we watched his birthday video from last year and continued watching home videos. Man you forget how your kids are at certain ages. I swear I tell myself, "I'll never forget this EVER." But I do. I'm so glad to live in the age of technology where we can keep these things forever.

One of the pictures on Ty's video was this one:


It was the first birthday gift I gave him. His mom had made him a pink quilt the year before (I'm sure it was just fabric she had around and needed to be used) but I felt like he needed a more manly quilt. My roommate Angel Quigley worked at a fabric store with a fancy quilter in the basement of the store. She let me work on it down there and then helped me with the edging.
(Homecoming Dance, Utah State Universtiy, 1995)






Sadly that quilt has seen better days. It has gotten much use and has now been retired.

No comments: