05 July 2014

Ty's first official 5K

The guy below in the green shirt ran his first official 5K race . . . pushing Alex in a stroller. So proud of him.

I say official because five years ago we held a fun family race which he participated in but kind of cheated and took a short cut. 

Kiersten, Nate, and I were signed up to run the Tooele 5K 4th of July race, one we haven't done before. At the last minute Kiersten got invited to Lake Powell and I tried finding anyone to take her race bib.

No takers. So Ty decided he'd do it and push Alex in the jogging stroller. After a practice run around the block his shins were in pain and I wasn't sure how he was going to do at this race.

We started and Nate finished first with his best time ever of 26 minutes and something. I came in 2nd and after getting some water, an orange slice, and congratulating one of my young women campers on finishing 2nd overall, I started back to find Tyler and finish it with him.

I ended up walking the entire race route back to the truck with no luck. Thankfully, since neither of us had cell phones, we had made a plan to meet at the finish line and we worked that plan. I found him right where he should have been.

And . . . 

He finished only 3 minutes behind me.

WHAAAAAAAAAT?

Wowzers!

I was pretty impressed he did so well. I kept telling him yesterday that he would probably surprise himself at how well he would do.

He's signed up to run our local Lake Point 5K in August. You know . . . it just starts with one little race and you get a little hooked.

No comments: