13 July 2014

Girls Camp, part 2

Summer is officially half over and I have failed to document so many things. Life at the moment is seriously crazy and fun. A lot like girls camp.

MONDAY: Monday morning of the week of camp, my little family and I woke up early and left our Leary family reunion in Idaho in order to make it back in time to get Kiersten to the stake center and off to the woods for her 4th year overnight hike. I got to spend the rest of the day getting packed and ready.

TUESDAY: Our theme for the day was Discovering Your Super Power. Every girl has been given certain gifts or "powers" that can help someone else. We may not touch every person all the time, but we can be someone's super hero. Leading up to camp I decided to pull out my patriarchal blessing and study it a little deeper. I looked for those special gifts and talents I've been blessed with. It certainly didn't come right out and say it, but through experiences I've had in my life, I know with certainty that I have been given the gift of faith. I've never been a doubter. Sure I've had questions. It's natural to question and wonder, but I also know that God is in charge and some day all my questions will get answers. And I'm okay with waiting. . . . Which is weird because I'm not a very patient person.
That afternoon is began to snow and snowed for several hours leaving a couple of inches of fresh, white powder -- perfect for a snowball fight and a snowman named Olaf.

That night our girls discovered that one of their super powers might very well be resiliency. I never heard one complain or want to go home. I'm sure they thought it and might have voiced it out loud to their tent mates but not a one grumbled about the weather that blew in on top of us.

The next morning I got up to make a fire and I just had to stand still for a moment and take in all the beauty surrounding me. Trees frosted with snow and the sun just peaking over the mountaintops. It was awe-striking and I decided that morning I would do it all over again just so I could witness the breathtaking beauty of that morning once more. Seriously, there are just no words to describe what I saw and felt as I got to be a witness to a small part of God's creation.

And ya know, life is kind of like that sometimes. It gets a little cold and stormy and is certainly nothing you'd wish for, but after passing through those hard experiences, most would look back and wouldn't trade it for a thing. The sun will always come up. All of us, regardless of what lemon life has passed on to you, has a choice. You can either choose to be miserable or you can choose to be happy. I personally like myself so much more when I'm happy.

No comments: