24 May 2014

My mechanic dad would be proud

Right before my birthday my trusty Kitchenaid mixer quit spinning. [He, he, ha, ha, ha. I was secretly kind of glad and had been waiting for this day]. This meant I could ask for a new mixer for my birthday and I would be totally justified. I thought I had always wanted a Bosch mixer. Growing up, I would spend time at my friend Jennifer's house and we would use her Bosch mixer to make cookies. At my house we did not have such thing. Beaters were what we used and let me tell you there was a world of difference.

On the downside a new mixer was not going to be cheap . . . Bosch or Kitchenaid. I decided I would try out a Bosch for myself to make sure it was really what I wanted before I shelled out some bucks. I borrowed my sister-in-law's and made several kinds of homemade bread and cookies.

I wasn't that impressed.

1. I found I had to make big quantities of dough for it to really get mixed. I make big quantities now but after our kids have flown the coop? . . .
2. It shook all over the counter just like my Kitchenaid. With my mixer I end up putting it on a rug on the floor when I'm mixing at high speed (like for bread) so it wouldn't walk itself right off my counter. I was pretty sure a Bosch wouldn't do that. I was wrong.
3. I also didn't like cleaning all the little grooves on the paddle.

That's three negatives right there.

In the meantime Reed, my brother, mentioned how easy it was for him to fix his mother-in-law's and that it was just a stripped gear. I watched several Youtube videos and decided I could fix it myself.

I ordered the part.

Then got to work one afternoon.




I had that thing working after a couple of hours.
My mechanic dad would have been proud (only picture I have of him in his mechanic outfit).

And I saved$395.50. New Kitchenaid: $400. Part to fix my old one: $4.50.

No comments: