16 July 2013

Summer: The unplanned kickoff

As of last Tuesday, our summer is half over, and our bucket list is looking much better than it did last year.

There was no sliding into summer with us. We picked the kids up straight from school on their last day and headed to Phoenix to visit family.

First stop was Vegas and the M&M factory.

Al was super excited to meet Elmo. Frankly I was a little surprised he went so willingly.

The Hoover Dam was on our list.

I found out there that Nate is a little terrified of heights. And I'm not going to mention our family joke about the Dam Tour that we decided not to do because of price.

You got it, right?

My kids have now been instructed to call it the Tour of the Dam.


Our whole purpose for this spur-of-the-moment trip was for my new nephew's baby blessing. I am so glad we went because it turned out that we were the only ones from my family to make it. Grandma and Grandpa's car broke down on the way there so they had to turn back.

While in Phoenix we visited the Phoenix Zoo,
 (can you spot the monkey?)


ate some really good Mexican food,
swam a lot,

and saw the new Gilbert Arizona Temple that looks like it's close to completion.
On our agenda on the way home was the Grand Canyon, which has been on our bucket list for several years now. Alex's famous saying when we got there was "I see rocks!" And now every time we are out in nature with rocks around, his comment is "I see Grand Canyon!" Gotta love that boy. 

Nate doesn't look as terrified as he made us think. Although you'll notice that he never ventured down to the railing where you can look over the edge.

Well, that was the beginning and a great way to kick off the summer.

1 comment:

mommaquincy said...

What a fun trip and such a cool picture of the canyon!