17 June 2013

Baking bread solar style

I'm not even sure how the subject came up as we were talking over the fence, but before I knew it my brother-in-law's mother was telling me all about her solar oven and wonder oven.

And I was intrigued enough to listen and make some bread dough to try them out for myself.
Looks pretty good, doesn't it.

The solar oven is pretty remarkable and extremely easy to use. And I liked that my kitchen stayed cool on this rather hot summer day. This contraption is definitely going on my wish list so I can try a myriad of other things in it.
The wonder oven was . . . well . . . weird. That tote does NOT contain the actual oven. IT IS THE OVEN!

Looking inside after the dough has "baked" for approximately 5 hours. It still looks like dough, doesn't it?
Bread after sliding it out of the can.
That's got to be the strangest looking loaf of bread I've ever seen. I don't think I'll be setting up my bake sale table outside anytime soon. I mean would you eat bread that's sat in a plastic container and looks like the can it was baked in?

Well, Ash gave it a try

. . . and a thumbs up.

Surprisingly it tasted just like my original homemade bread only a little denser. There wasn't a crumb left after dinner.

No comments: