16 September 2011

Summer goals

This past summer I had the kids make some summer goals even though we were six weeks into summer before it actually happened. It was an idea I stole from one of Richard and Linda Eyre's books. I liked that it gave my kids something to do when the boredom hit and they're at the age where money can be a big motivator.

I had them come up with one for each area: spiritual, mental, physical, musical. And in addition they had to memorize 5 scriptures or quotes. Overall the goals set were mediocre. I really think next summer we'll do better now that we all know how it will work. For instance, Kiersten and Nate both set a goal to read so many pages or books. Well that's fine for someone who is not a reader. Both of them read in their sleep I believe and don't really need that as a goal.

So here's how it worked.
  1. Once their goals are written down with how much they think they should earn, they bring them to me.
  2. I make a counteroffer that can include modifying a goal or the monetary payment tied to it.
  3. When we both agree on it, we sign it.
  4. They have to put it somewhere for safe keeping preferably where they will see it.
  5. At the end of summer bring it to me showing their goals checked off for payment (the money is to go towards school clothes). Next year I'll have them make something to show how they'll accomplish their goals and track their progress.
  6. They also received a bonus of doubling their money if they passed off all their goals.
Erik went down to the wire. He really wanted that bonus money for a Wii; Nate didn't get his bonus because he didn't pass off all his piano songs. Kiersten spent her entire time as Grandma's learning and practicing a new song.

As a parent it was thrilling to watch my kids work at something and accomplish it. It's also very hard to let them learn hard things and not step in and make it easier. I so wanted Nathan to get that extra bonus money and to tell him he had tried hard enough, but I also knew that wouldn't teach him anything. He had a challenging moment as he watched his other siblings get that extra money, and I know next year he'll try a little harder (instead of reading all the time!).

My only goal this past summer was to train for my half marathon. I think that was good for my kids to see me working towards something. However, next summer I plan to fully participate with my kids as we achieve challenging and rewarding objectives.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I read this book when Jared was just a baby and didn't really put anything into practice. After you recommended it to me, I read it again and I think I might try this out next summer.