13 September 2011

Bottles of peaches

Every summer, after spending time at Grandma's, Erik and Nate would come home and rave about her peaches and eating an entire bottle in one sitting.

I grew up on bottled peaches and pears, and I guess I just remember the hours spent canning, in a hot kitchen, and didn't really have that desire to continue in my mother's legacy . . . until this year.

I decided if my kids love Grandma's peaches that much then maybe I should indulge them and can a few bottles for them.

I bought a bushel of peaches, ate a few raw ones, and made my annual peach pie. With the help of my brother-in-law, Jacob, I now have 11 quarts of peaches sitting on my counter. And you know what? The process wasn't anything like I remember growing up. I actually enjoyed myself and plan on doing more.

But what I enjoyed the most was the smell of sweetness that permeated the air when the peaches were processing in the canner. It brought back a flood of memories from my childhood. I had forgotten that smell until last night, and I'm hoping I've captured a little of it in each bottle.


P.S. Erik asked this morning if he could open a bottle for breakfast. NO WAY! I'm letting them sit there for a day or two so I can admire my accomplishment.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love canning and always enjoy looking at the beautiful jars of freshly canned peaches.

Ambs said...

I laughed so hard that you wouldn't let him eat the peaches yet. :) I wouldn't want them gone for a while either! You are awesome Missy.