23 August 2011

First day of school

At the end of the school year a friend and I were discussing our year end traditions. She told me how she makes each of her girls a candybar gram.

My mom used to do the same thing for different occasions. I don't know why it never crossed my mind to ever do one.


So all summer I've been anticipating doing one for each of the kids (except for Alex). I was a little excited this morning as the kids woke up.
They all loved them, but Ash was the funniest. I'm sure she just thought it was a bunch of candy stuck to paper until we had her read it. She tried skipping over the candybar until I had her insert the candybar name in the sentence. Then she got it and giggled and giggled. She couldn't wait to get to school to tell her teacher all about it (except when she got home she told me she forgot to say anything).

First shift. I can't believe this girl is in junior high. Who gave her permission to grow up. I wished like crazy today that I could have been her invisible friend to help her when she couldn't get her locker open or she forgot where her classrooms were or she couldn't find her friends at lunch. We'll see how the day went when she gets home and I'm sure it won't have been nearly as traumatic as I've made it out to be.
Second shift. I sent these three off to the bus stop. I missed living close to the elementary today and seeing all the kids excited to get to their classes as they walked or biked. The bus stop just isn't the same.
Alex and I went for a jog/walk this morning after everyone left. It was a rather quiet morning like I knew it would be. I'm just glad I have this little guy around to keep me company as he toddles from room to room.
P.S. I also have the irrigation guys and deck guy to keep me company and anyone working next door. So I should clarify that the quiet morning meant quiet in the house . . . no fighting, piano playing, radio turned up, keyboard clicking. I can't say the same for outside the house. There is no shortage of commotion going on out there.

No comments: