31 August 2011

An addendum to my last post

I didn't mention how stressful it can be sometimes packing for 7 people. Tyler's brother and sister-in-law were kind enough to let us crash their house Friday night so I could be up early for my race.

So I thought I had everything and had even gone through it all in my head right before we pulled out.

Running shoes: check.
Shorts: check.
Shirt: check.
Socks: check.

About 30 minutes into our drive to Logan the thought suddenly popped into my head, "I think I left my running bag on the bed." And then I voiced this out loud to Tyler. In an effort to get everybody and all their stuff in the van I forgot the most important thing. This happened at 5:45pm and I had to be to Logan to pick up my bib and goodies by 8:00 pm (Logan is about an hour and 45 minutes from our house).

Ah, what to do.

We had to turn back and we did.

And, we still made it to Logan with minutes to spare.

I can't even imagine what I would have done had I realized my mistake later, maybe even too late to do anything about it (like buy new gear because the store might be closed).

Oh, I came dangerously close to missing out on a huge accomplishment.

I really think Heavenly Father sent that thought to me because we were still close enough to turn around and go back, close enough that I didn't lose too much time and still made it to Logan, and we were right by an exit. How grateful I am for tender mercies and someone watching out for me.

No comments: