11 July 2010

The scales are now tipped in favor of . . .

the BOYS!

A. G. was born Tuesday, June 22 at 9:06 am.
He weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces and was 20 inches long.
I meant to post this so much earlier, but I seriously have no life. And when I do have a free moment I definitely don't want to be sitting at the computer. We'll see how many days it takes me to complete this post. So far: 17. I began it on the 25th of June. It is now the 11th of July.

So maybe I'm a little superstitious. There is this family of bloggers I follow simply because I like the way they all write and one of the sisters is my age with 5 kids who follow my kids birth order and who had a baby in January. I feel a little connected. Anyway back in March I knew I needed to get back into my scriptures on a regular basis. One of these sisters posted about the same time that she was going to read the Book of Mormon in 60 days and even gave a daily reading schedule. I decided to accept the challenge. It would get me reading on a more consistent basis plus when I was done reading in June this baby would be ready to join our family.

This particular sister was also going to have a baby in June . . . which she did, the day she finished the Book of Mormon. I did pretty well at keeping to the schedule, but towards the end I kind of lost steam with end of school things and our house finally starting to get built. Here's where my superstition enters in. In the back of my brain I figured this baby would not come until I had finished the Book of Mormon. We had planned to go to the Uintahs for a day trip on June 18 so I purposely did not finish the last chapter until that night after we got back. Well, the next day came and went. And so did the next and the next. So much for my superstitions.

Tuesday, June 22 I was scheduled to be induced. I had to call the hospital at 6 am to see when they wanted me. My doctor and I discussed being induced several weeks prior since she was going to be out of town for a week and wouldn't see me at my last appointment. She suggested the 22nd and I went for it even though in my heart I really wanted an odd number since my kids birthdays are 17, 21, 27, 21. I thought the 23rd would work great. But I didn't mention it to her and we stuck with the 22nd. I figured this kid could share an even birthday with his dad since Tyler is the only one in our family with an even number. Am I sounding a little strange at this point?

Our surprise birthday party started a little early. Remember we didn't know what we were having, girl or boy. At 3 am my water broke. It was not little trickle either. I literally ran to the bathroom and wondered if it would stop enough for me to get to the hospital 30 minutes away. I finally got in the bathtub to kind of clean up and remember feeling like that baby was just going to drop out. I knew then we needed to leave immediately which was so unlike when my water broke with Kiersten. I don't remember the gush, and we stayed at home for a good hour and a half while I had something to eat and finished packing a few things.

A half a block from our house the contractions started. We timed them all the way in to Salt Lake at about 3 minutes apart. At one point I asked Tyler if he couldn't go a little faster than the 75 miles he was going. I was never so happy to make it to the hospital and I'm sure Tyler was a little relieved also. They were waiting for me since I was supposed the come in that morning anyway. I didn't need the Pitocin but asked for an epidural right away. Not because I needed it at that point, but because I knew this could be a fast delivery. I was dilated to a 5+ when we arrived at 4 am.

The epidural worked great and I wouldn't do it any other way. I was able to converse freely with the doctor and nurses right up until I was ready to push. At about 8:15 am the nurse said we were ready to have a baby and called Dr. Cannon. At 8:40 am I started to push. I really thought it would be like Ashlyn -- one push and she was out. This one was a little more difficult. With Ashlyn I felt all kinds of pressure and really felt the need to push. This one not so much. I also wonder if it was because he was bigger than any of my other kids too. I pushed for about 25 minutes before little Alex was born at 9:06 am AND he chose his own birthday, not me.

Dr. Cannon let Tyler have the honor of announcing boy or girl. Alex came out and Tyler hesitatingly said, "Boy?" And then Dr. Cannon flipped him over and Tyler announced with more clarity, "It's a BOY." He was a little stunned. He really thought we were having a girl. I was pretty sure it was a boy. So A. G. has joined our family and we couldn't be happier. Like Kiersten has said several times, "He's the best thing that's happened to our family."

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

Wow! I'm so glad he's here safely! Was he posterior? Your descriptions sounded like my posterier births.

Angela said...

Congrats! So fun to hear the birth story.