28 July 2010

It's still raining


Monday was quite possibly one of the worst days ever. Even Tyler concurred.

Nathan was scheduled to have a tympanoplasty done on his right ear. Last year he had complained of his ear hurting when he went swimming and I did nothing. This year I thought I should have his hearing checked and sure enough he was hearing about 30 decibels lower than he should. Dr. Ventura, his ear doctor, said he had a perforated ear drum and that we should have a tympanoplasty done where they take a skin graft from behind the ear to fix the hole.

Well, he's had a perforated ear drum before on that ear and to fix it Dr. Ventura put a patch on it. It was quick and we were home within 2 hours and Nate was out playing that afternoon. I assumed this was what we were doing and scheduled the surgery for the day before his 8th birthday.

Nathan, Alex, and I arrived at the hospital at 7 am and got checked in. The anesthesiologist came in and casually asked if I knew this would take a couple of hours. I was a little surprised, but went to wait in the waiting room.

Also that morning I woke up bleeding . . . again. I'm 5 weeks postpartum and ready to have my body back. Over the past 5 weeks the bleeding has slowed and stopped for a couple of days and then started back up. Well again, I assumed I would be home in a couple of hours and could deal with the bleeding. Alex started getting a little fussy in the waiting room, so I picked him up and left to walk down the hall. I found a phone to call Ty to tell him we would be a little while, went to the rest room and knew I needed to go home. I was bleeding too heavily and was not prepared. I called Ty back in tears and asked him to come to the hospital.

He came and switched places with me. I went home and called my doctor's nurse. She of course told me to just take it easy. I wanted to ask her how exactly I was supposed to do that with 5 kids, a new baby, building a house, and one of my kids was having a surgery I did not anticipate. I did my best and even had Kiersten and Erik mow the lawn for me which was a first for them.

Nathan finally came home about 1:30pm with stitches behind his ear and a big bandage on his ear that he needed to keep on until his appointment on Thursday. He didn't look happy and I felt so badly for scheduling this surgery right before his birthday. I also had to reschedule his birthday pictures.

Saturday we spent the day at Cherry Hill, and despite having all the kids wear sun screen, Ty didn't put any on himself. Needless to say he got rather burnt. He spent all day Monday trying not to itch the sunburn even though he desperately wanted to. I thought he would go crazy.
Nate's birthday was as good as we could hope for. I let him stay in his jammies all day. His Primary teacher brought balloons, a happy birthday sign for the front lawn, and candy. She had told me Sunday how nervous he was about this surgery and I told her it would be nothing. Well, he had something to be nervous about. I don't think he was in a lot of pain, more discomfort than anything. I really wanted to do something fun so he'd forget about his ear, but I didn't dare venture very far from my bathroom. I'm hoping that this bleeding is nothing more than my monthly friend returning with a vengeneance. Ty's back was good yesterday and much better today.

We're all glad Monday is over. It was one of those days that never turn out quite like you think it's going to and I hope to never have a day like it again.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Miss,
I had no idea your last week was so bad. I am feeling really guilty. Here I sit while I could be helping you out with SOMETHING! Seriously, I don't have any plans tomorrow. What can I do to help?

mommaquincy said...

Has the bleeding stopped? It sounds to me like you started doing too much, too soon and didn't get healed all the way.