23 August 2009

I'm grateful for . . .

mountains so close to where I live.
the beauty of the earth.
the wondrous smells of nature.

It whispers to me that there is a God, a master designer behind it all. It's awe-inspiring to look at the flowers and trees that just grow and produce on their own, for mother nature who keeps it all watered. I simply cannot believe that a cosmic crash in space could produce something as beautiful as this earth. It takes more faith to believe in the Big Bang than to believe that this world is Someone's handicraft.

I just returned home yesterday from my first backpacking trip ever. Our little entourage included my brother-in-law Jason and three of his boys, Scott, Jeremy, and Porter along with our crew of Ty, me, Kiersten, Erik, and Nate. Since we had little hikers with us, the men decided on a relatively simple hike of about a mile to base camp. The lake we hiked to was Wall Lake. It was breathtakingly beautiful!

After arriving home, we set up the tents and put everything outside to air out and get the smokey smell out. Sometime around 2 am I awoke to hear something banging against our fence. Our backpacking tents (that are known to weigh hardly anything) had decided to take flight with relatively little wind. The 4-man tent was in the neighbor's backyard and the 2-man was hitting the fence even though Ty used rocks in place of the stakes. So at 2 am we were sneaking into the neighbor's yard (hoping their dogs were in the house) and gathering up our gear. Now we know why they advise using the stakes :)

4 comments:

Jule said...

I agree, it looks absolutely breath-taking. A trip you'll record in your memories forever! I'm so glad that you did this!
Mom

mommaquincy said...

How cool! That is really beautiful! You are one tough cookie hiking in like that! How as the fishing?

Missy said...

The fishing wasn't great. Ty and the boys caught all five fish at Wall Lake. The 2nd day when they hiked to 9 different lakes, not a thing. Maybe because they were trying to fish in the middle of the day. They're going back this weekend, so we'll see if the luck changes.

Angie said...

You inspired us to want to take a trip to the mountains. So thank you. I am glad you had fun! You are such a great mom.