03 May 2009

Turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting

One of my favorite sessions at Women's Conference was a class on fasting by Sister Kathleen Perrin. Fasting is one of the vices in my life. I like food too much and it's hard to go without. I read a biography on Ardeth Kapp, and in it she tells how once a week she would fast. I thought about doing it because in doing it I know there is tremendous power. But after a couple of times life crept up on me and I am again doing just the monthly fast that we as Latter-day Saints do.

How to Teach Children about Fasting
1. Teach by example
2. Teach the joy of sacrifice
3. Fast with a family purpose
4. Teach about the needy
5. Serve simple meals
6. Give up favorite foods
7. Give up snacks at church (for little ones)
8. Base fasting time on age

I've struggled in the past knowing how to teach my kids, especially when it's not something I really enjoy myself. But I came up with a couple of traditions to help remember that it's Fast Sunday and to enjoy the sabbath, not just endure.

1. We make it pizza night the night before, complete with cinnamon breadsticks. I always began fasting as a child the following morning, and it was hard to begin a fast that way when you're already hungry. This way we begin our fast with a meal and a prayer where ideally we discuss what or who we could fast for. It doesn't always happen that way but it's how I envision it.

2. Fast Sunday meal is always a roast and potatoes. Awhile ago we discovered that cross-rib roasts are soooo good cooked in the crock pot for 8 to 10 hours. So Fast Sunday morning I get up and put the roast in and then we eat later in the day, not right after church. It helps extend the fast a little longer. So far my kids have not complained about not eating immediately after church. It was only a couple of years ago that I fasted for an entire 24 hours. And each time gets a little easier.

3. This Sunday is also our journal Sunday. I want my kids to be journal writers and record their feelings and happenings in their lives. I know they'll appreciate it later when they are older and will be glad they've written. To help facilitate this we make a treat to be eaten Sunday evening AFTER they've written in their journal. Erik allowed me to read his journal today and it was the typical I did this today and we did that, and I decided I want to help with their writing by giving them assignments once in awhile to write on a particular subject.

Why We Feel Our Fast Is Not Answered
1. We cannot fast and pray away someone's agency. As much as we would like to, especially when we see someone making wrong choices, it just isn't in the Lord's plan. We should instead fast and pray to understand the Lord's will; to change the things we can change; and for strength to face challenges, not for them to be removed.

2. We do not understand the Lord's timetable. Sister Perrin gave an example of a family who fasted and prayed for their eldest daughter who was not yet married, who had been on a mission, earned her doctorate, and was teaching college classes. She did end up getting married, but much later in life to a student in one of her classes who was quite a bit younger. Some things just don't happen when we'd like and we have to have the patience and faith to accept that. The Lord is in charge!

3. We don't recognize the answer.
4. We are fasting for what we want, not for what the Lord wants for us.

5. We fail to see the many ways in which we have been blessed. Sometimes fasting should be just for the bounteous blessings God has given us.

6. We don't receive the answer we expect. Another story was told of a young woman who suffered through her teenage years with migraine headaches. Again the family fasted and prayed and thought they were not getting an answer. In her early 20s the prognosis came that one of her kidneys was not functioning and had not been since she was very little and it would need to be removed. After the removal of the kidney the headaches stopped. It was definitely not an answer the family expected.

The Lord answers our prayers more so when we fast, and prayer coupled with fasting is the way to understand Heavenly Father's will for us.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Missy, You are such an inspiration to me in the way you are always trying to better yourself and your family.

I wish I had been able to go with you to Women's Conference this year. I will have to see if they broadcast this talk on KSL.

mommaquincy said...

Thanks for sharing! I had to work and couldn't make it to Women's Conference this year! Now I feel like I got to one class!

Angie said...

Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to to, Miss! I really enjoyed going and now understand why you make it a tradition every year. It really does give you an uplift!

courtnee said...

Missy,
Thanks for the fasting update, I have troubles there too, I do know that when fasting for twent-four hours there is an abundance of the spirit. We do have something extra the night before too, it helps me kids.