26 February 2009

Wanted: Vacation planner

I had an incredible amount of fun planning this vacation. I even got a little giddy over the packet I put together which included maps of all our destinations, maps of the theme parks, coupons, hotel confirmations. Vacationing is fun. I even started thinking about where we should go next.

Remember when I wrote this a month ago? I'm back at it again. When I started thinking about where to go next, I never imagined it would be Seoul, Korea OR that we'd be going in a short six weeks. Tyler doubted my ability to pull it off in such a short amount of time. He's been wanting to go back ever since he came home from his mission. The night he proposed marriage he took me out to a Korean restaurant. And shortly after we were married he tried to convince me that we could live there and teach English. I'm still here and very excited to VISIT.


Airline tickets? yep
Hotel reservations? yep
Passports? yep
Itinerary? yep.

(Over the years, many of our major lists have been compiled over dinner with a napkin as our tablet.)

We've been pouring over subway maps to better acquaint ourselves with the area especially since we'll be staying in an area unfamiliar to Tyler. Seoul is only about 15 square miles but can take 10 to 60 minutes to get to where you're going. Tyler's anxious to see his first area as a missionary, a place he stayed for 5 months. I'm eager to see what he has to show me, a place that is a big part of his past, a place he likes to talk about often. The kids and I have even become big fans of bulgogi (a Korean barbecue lettuce wrap) and japchae (a vegetable noodle dish).

We are both very excited and grateful for such an opportunity. I never envisioned ever going back there, and I don't think Tyler ever did either.

2 comments:

mommaquincy said...

It sounds like an incredible experience! Are the kids going too?

Erika Ellis said...

So when do you leave, and how long will you be gone? That sounds like an awesome trip. I'll look forward to seeing photos and reading about how it was.