31 October 2008

Pat on the back


Yesterday was parent-teacher conference. We met first with Nate's teacher, Mrs. Heaton, who had nothing but good things to say about Nate. She's going to try challenging him a little more with harder spelling words. Erik's teacher, Mrs. Workman, hopes to keep Erik motivated. She's afraid he's getting bored. Again she had nothing but praise for Erik. She and I both separately discovered that Erik enjoys reading biographies and nonfiction. We both are going to try to have enough of those types of books around for him. Last we met with Kiersten's teacher, Mrs. Jorgensen. Kiersten is at the top of her class and neither of us could think of really anything to discuss.

I left with all four kids in tow and was walking down the hall when Mrs. Young the principal yelled after me, "Mrs. Leary!" I turned back and she proceeded to give me a very nice compliment. She said that if she had 600 kids just like mine, she would be out of a job and that whatever we were doing at home to keep it up. I was very impressed that she not only new my name, but that she took the time to pay a compliment.

Erik must have also impressed her because last Friday when she ended up substituting his class the entire day, she nominated him for Club 100 (This is where a teacher, aid, etc. nominates kids who were caught doing good that day and they get their names read over the loud speaker and get to go to the office to receive a prize and put their name in a drawing for a bigger prize.)

Later in the day I had a Primary meeting and was talking to a friend who also commented on what good kids I have. I DO have great kids. I don't know exactly what we've done in raising them so far. I do believe kids are born with traits and I also believe they can be molded. Discipline . . . Ty and I have tried to be very consistent and positive. We are also strong believers in natural consequences. I AM BLESSED!

No comments: