12 April 2008

To fertilize or not to fertilize?


I bought fertilizer over a month ago eager to green up my yard. But when I got home and really scrutinized my front lawn, I discovered it was already green and really just needed to be mowed. So far I think I've been the only one in our immediate neighborhood who has mowed . . . and I've done it three times!

THE PROS of FERTILIZING
Fertilize in fall = first green lawn in the spring. BUT that initiates the season of mowing.

THE CONS of FERTILIZING
Don't fertilize in the fall = brown lawn like rest of neighborhood. AND there's no need to start mowing.

Truth is I enjoy mowing the lawn. It's like vacuuming. I love to see the lines of neatly cut grass (In my world of mowing, you push the lawnmower off and on in straight lines, none of that going around in one big circle. I must have inherited that from Dad when he insisted I drive the tractor on and off the garden plot in straight lines. He didn't mention that I should try to miss the willow tree . . . I was just trying to get that tractor off without turning a circle and the willow happened to be in the way. Who can't love that willow now all scarred and with a little character.). I also love the smell of the freshly cut grass. AND, just like vacuuming, it takes me to my happy place where neither kids nor phone can intrude. So . . . I guess I'll keep fertilizing.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Jake fertilized our lawn in the fall, but we haven't mowed like you have. However, it is on the list of things to do this week. However, in our family its kind of a battle of who gets to mow. I usually luck out because he has to go to work. I love mowing as well. Its the look, the smell, and everything else that comes with it that leaves you with that feeling of a day well spent.