16 July 2015

Summer break or Summer breaking point

I am SOOOOO ready for summer to end (at least have kids back in school) and we are only 7 weeks in with another 6 to go. This has never happened to me so early.

How do homeschooling moms cope with having the kids home ALL. THE. TIME?

I am done and seriously need a few days to recharge in order to be a nice mom again. Our neighbors wife took the kids to California for a few weeks leaving him home alone. Boy was I jealous.

Wanna know what set Mama Bear off yesterday? I had tried to hide some yogurts in the fridge to make a salad for a dinner party. Were they there when I needed them? Nope. I shouldn't have to label the food as to what can and can't be eaten but clearly that seems to be the route to take if I'm going to have anything left in my fridge.

The past couple of summers I've implemented a system to help the summer flow smoothly. This year, things just don't seem to be working, especially with one certain child who thinks that our system is optional. Maybe I'll do my weeding today. Maybe I'll do my cleaning. Maybe I'll work on some summer goals.

I have lost my motivation to cook at all because the kitchen is in constant disarray (at least according to my standards). One child is in charge of counters, another has the floor, another is required to make sure the dishes get put in the dish washer, and another unloads. Simple enough? Except it isn't working so I'm changing the rules. Nobody eats for 6 weeks. That should clear up the kitchen mess.

Okay, seriously, I do want them to eat. I do want them to eat when they are hungry. I just want them to make sure what they are about to eat isn't needed for anything and to clean up when they are done. Maybe if I put everyone in charge of their own mess . . .

Um, no. This won't work either because nobody will claim responsibility for what happened in the kitchen. What happens in the kitchen, stays in the kitchen.

And quiet time in the house? Well that's pretty much non-existent even in the early morning hours because several of the kids are up before me. My only sanity seems to be when I go for a run or work in the yard.

I need somewhere to escape for some quiet time but what I really want is to come back from my escape to a clean kitchen.

I don't think I ask for much.

No comments: