09 September 2013

The Little Grand Canyon half marathon

Running a half marathon is a lot like childbirth.

You're never quite as prepared as you think.

You're excited for the race to start and a little apprehensive about what lies ahead.

Okay, there's a lot of apprehension especially if you've done it once before.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR!

Pretty soon you're off and think, "This isn't so bad."

Until you hit mile 10 or 11 and then you wonder if you'll ever survive to the end.

But you do it. You cross that finish line and stand in awe at what you just accomplished.

Thirteen miles is no easy feat. Nor is bringing a baby into the world.

And you tell yourself, "I am never going to do that again!"

But before you know it, you've forgotten about the pain, the soreness, the tiredness and just remember the sheer joy that accompanies finishing the race or holding that new baby in your arms.

And you tell yourself, "It wasn't that bad. I could go for another one."

All the pain and soreness you felt was totally worth the experience.
This is how I've felt after each of my half marathons. I've now got three under my belt and each one has been a different experience, just like each childbirth has been its own story.

Katie and I decided at the beginning of the year to try this one since it was practically in our backyard. There was always a field trip to the San Rafael Swell when we were growing up.

This race did not disappoint. Although this race was not a spectator race with people/family cheering you on from start to finish, I loved running through the canyon with sheer walls on either side of me. I loved not running through residential streets. I loved the small company of runners I was with. I loved the compacted dirt road. I loved running by the petroglyphs.
So far this is my favorite and one I would definitely consider doing again. I didn't break any records. I seem to finish right around 2:25, give or take a couple of minutes. But that's okay. This was one race you really wanted to just take in the scenery.

I will admit though, that I was a little miffed when the first marathon runner passed me around mile 9 or 10 at full speed. Dude, where do you get your energy?
My running partner is engaged and I'm afraid my half marathon days may be limited. Seriously who wants to PAY to run 13 miles, get up early to get there on time, spend two days afterwards recuperating if you're the only one doing it?

There is strength in numbers and in conquering hard things together. Guess I'll wait and see what lies ahead for this running gal.

No comments: