05 September 2013

It's all downhill from here

Tyler turned the big 4-0 yesterday. I've been thinking about this day for a long time. In fact YEARS! He always liked my long hair when we were first married and then it gradually got shorter and shorter. Well, several years ago I decided to grow it out for his 40th birthday. So it went from this:
 To this:


And doesn't 40 just scream surprise party? With funny centerpieces turned into birthday hats???

I just wasn't sure how it was all going to work out. Then Fate stepped in . . . Nate had to be picked up from soccer practice at 6:30 so I sent Tyler and as soon as he was driving down the road, it was a mad dash to get everything out and ready. I was pleasantly surprised at how many showed up right at 6:30. It truly made for a real surprise when he got back. I wish I had taken a picture of everyone waiting for him.

Maybe something like this although in this photo we're really just watching the slide show I put together.

 (El Guapo for El Guapo . . . a present from his brother Seth)

Since the beginning of the year I've been surreptitiously working on this:

 
If you decide to watch it, be warned it's just about an hour long, but set to music with some family sentiments and a few short videos embedded. I was quite pleased with how it turned out, although Tyler did not make working on it easy. He seemed to always be popping into my office at the most inopportune times.

I hope he had a fantastic day. I sure had fun trying to put a fabulous day together. We are both so blessed with amazingly supportive family and friends. You only turn 40 once.
Here's 40 thing I love about Ty

1. Patient 
2. Great teacher – can explain things easily 
3. Love of reading 
4. Quick to say sorry 
5. Great left-handed layup 
6. Extraordinary memory and great recall 
7. Discovered his enjoyment in gardening 
8. Plays the piano (a little)
9. Terrific dad – very involved in his kids’ lives
10. Very good with words and phrasing things just right
11. Meticulous
12. Takes time to think through a problem in its entirety
13. The countless hours he put into the building of our home and yard
14. Supportive – comes to all my races
15. Handwriting is neat 
16. A math whiz 
17. Can cook a mean steak 
18. Likes to travel 
19. He’s the cautious one in our relationship 
20. Loves to still learn new things 
21. Wonderful at giving compliments 
22. Excellent with money and our finances 
23. A thinker 
24. Can still speak some Korean from his mission 
25. Works hard in the yard 
26. Doesn’t get stressed or at least show it outwardly 
27.Awesome financial planner – has made sure all our financial needs are taken care of 
28. Very calm – doesn’t get too uptight over things 
29. Knows how to give a good lecture – I’ve been to a few of his at BYU 
30. Loves ice cream just about as much as me 
31. Enjoys being in nature – backpacking, camping 
32. His hair is very easy to cut 
33. Not high maintenance 
34. Will eat the leftovers 
35. Likes to hike with us 
36. Participates in Family Home Evening with us 
37. Huge Utah Jazz fan 
38. Likes pineapple on his ham pizza 
39. Enjoys socializing at our home 
40. So willing to get up in the middle of the night with babies

1 comment:

Laura Leary said...

I love the video of Tyler's life. Thanks for letting me see it. I hope Tyler knows how much we all love him now.