20 June 2012

On fire for the Kindle Fire

It all started a year ago when Uncle Aaron came to visit with his Blackberry Playbook. My boys fell in love and started devising ways to get one.

Last fall I had them put together a PowerPoint presentation on the pros and cons where they decided that maybe a Playbook wasn't the best choice for them.

Then several months later we accidentally took them to Best Buy. Erik fell in love with the Kindle Fire and Nathan was nice enough to agree to pay part of it for his birthday present.
I didn't like that they could access the internet with it, and I kept holding them at bay thinking this fascination would go away. It didn't.

It came in the mail two days ago.

But before we pushed that purchase button, Erik and Nate had a good discussion with Tyler and meI about how it would be used and how the wi-fi would be turned off. I even made them write up a contract so they knew we, the parents, had total control over it.
I hope this isn't a big mistake on our part. I'd just assume they didn't have this fun, new, little gadget. But I guess you can't shelter a child forever from this world. They need to learn to navigate and make choices regarding the media that is pushed at them all the time. I just pray they make good choices. One of the hardest things as a parent is giving your children their agency to decide how they're going to live their lives.

I just don't have to give them full agency right now. Thank you parental controls.

No comments: