08 October 2011

Twins, perhaps?

Sorting through photos I came across this picture of Alex
and it reminded me of this photo of Nathan (in red).
Holy cow, I don't think I would be able to tell them apart. I've always thought Alex looked a lot like Nate. In Nate's picture you can see the cleft he had in his uvula before he had surgery to stitch it up. That little hole has caused more problems for his hearing and speech than anything.

The other day Erik and he were discussing something and Nate said, "I don't want to do that. Everyone will laugh at me." I knew after overhearing that comment he needed a lunch date with mom.
I pulled him out of school one day. I asked him if anyone made fun of him and he spilled the beans. Apparently last year he said something to his teacher that his teacher misheard and repeated back incorrectly. The class heard it and one girl in particular made fun of whatever it was Nathan said for quite awhile. She is also in his class this year but hasn't said anything.

I told Nate to not let other people bother him (easier said than done) and to just be his own person (again, not so easy for a 4th grader). We discussed how I'm helping him improve his R sound when I have him repeat words/phrases back to me, correctly.

I love lunch dates with my kids. For some reason they are more chatty when they're sitting in front of food. And for a mom that can only be a good thing as they open up their lives a little bit.

No comments: