23 October 2011

Still workin' on that summer bucket list

Nate wanted to visit Arches this summer since this is the last time he was there and doesn't remember much:

It never crossed my mind that my parents live close enough to so many wonderful places in central and southern Utah that we could stay at their house and make it a day trip to most places, places I would go to on field trips. I was planning on taking the kids myself until Tyler was able to get work off at the last minute. And then on our way out of town, Aunt Katie decided to tag along. We are so glad she came, grateful dad could come, and happy we have an 8th seat to take extra stowaways.
It's become tradition for Tyler to put together a road trip booklet for the kids to fill out about our destination. This one came with coupons, mazes, mad libs, crosswords, and much more.

I stole this picture from Katie. It pretty much sums up how excited everyone was for a family getaway.

Pine Tree Arch - The only photo of the whole gang. We did a picture swap thing with another family.
Landscape Arch
One tired boy
Sand Dune Arch - Our favorite and one you have to discover in the middle of all that rock.

I don't think I've ever seen so many people there at one time. When we were there many years previous, we were lucky to have one other family come through and take our picture.

Ash even ran into a friend from school, and Alex finally warmed up to the feel of the sand.


Delicate Arch - We decided to do the 1/2 mile hike to the lookout and Alex was determined to walk the entire way, stopping every few feet to lean over the wooden rail and say "Hi" to whatever happened to be out there.

Balanced Rock - On our way out of the park some of the kids wanted to try holding up the rock. I'd say they did a pretty good job!

The weather will be changing soon. I'm so glad we took advantage of the beautiful weather. October is the PERFECT time to go to Arches. It wasn't too hot and I actually enjoyed working on that end-of-season tan.

1 comment:

Erika Ellis said...

Looks like fun! Great pictures