21 January 2024

Why the Book of Mormon?


Why do I exercise?

Why do I wake up every day?

Why should I choose veggies over a cookie?

Why do I go to church?

Why do I pray?

Why do I reread books?

Lots of whys in our life. Take that last why. I have a read hundreds and hundreds of books in my life. I am part of a book club that has been meeting together for about 18 years, and when I recommend a book I read in my teens or early 20s, I always preface it with the fact that I really liked it then but it doesn't mean it will still resonate with me the same. So I read it again to see if it still holds that special place in my heart. Many times I come away with a different experience simply because I am different and at a different place in my life.

The scriptures are very much the same. They are not a one-time read. We are in a different space and time than other times we might have read them. They will resonant with us differently each time we study.

Why should I read the Book of Mormon again? I've read it many times in my life already.

One of the podcasts I listen to religiously every week is called Teaching Scripture. It turns out our Elder's Quorum president had a connection to Bryce Dunford, one of the hosts, and was able to bring him out to our stake for a Book of Mormon kickoff fireside and he shared the reasons we should read the book according to Nephi chapter 1.

Nephi gives us three reasons in the very first chapter of the book. Why is it probably the most read chapter in all of scripture? Probably because we never quite get why we are reading the book in the first place to continue to the finish line.

1 Nephi 1:11 -- "And they came down and went forth upon the face of the earth; and the first came and stood before my father [Lehi], and gave him a book, and bade him that he should read."

➞I've been given a book, the Book of Mormon, and bade that I should read it because . . .

1 Nephi 1:12 -- " And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the Spirit of the Lord."

➞It will fill me with God's spirit.

1 Nephi 1:14 -- "And it came to bass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things ..."

➞I will witness many great and marvelous things in my life.

1 Nephi 1:19 -- "...he testified that the things which he read in the book, manifested plainly of the coming of the Messiah, also the redemption of the world."

➞I will find Jesus in the book. That is the number one reason for reading the Book of Mormon, to find the Messiah who will come into my life and redeem my soul.

So why am I reading the Book of Mormon again?

Because ... 

I believe in a God and I need his spirit. That spirt makes me feel light and fills me with joy and peace. 

It clarifies doctrine not found in the Bible. At some point we all have to really think about the purpose of our life and the Book of Mormon gives us that direction.

It exposes Satan for who he really is and the tactics he uses.

I see my life in its pages.

But this year I am going to concentrate my efforts in finding Jesus on every page and in every story. Truthfully, I tend to get caught up in the narrative of the book and forget there's more to the book.

Jesus. Jesus is my reason for reading.




No comments: