05 June 2018

Selfless giving

I'm not even sure how to title this blog post. As we were sitting in the Huntsman Center waiting for Erik's graduation to start, my mom and dad came in and sat down one on either side of me with a story to tell.

They had decided to stop and eat at Chuck-a-rama in American Fork. They walked in to see my two cousins Craig and Tim (brothers) there, both living in Vernal. Craig was my age and we were quite close growing up. Tim was number 5 of 6, the 4th boy and not someone I really knew at all. He was the forgotten child who didn't seem to amount to much growing up. He had older brothers who kind of stole the spotlight and a younger brother who was the baby.

As my parents chatted, Tim brought up the fact that my oldest, Kiersten was getting married. He then said what a great mom I was and took a $100 bill out of his wallet and slid it across the table. "Give this to Miss to help with wedding expenses."

My parents were flabbergasted and tried to give him some change, but there was nothing more to do other than hand it over to me when they saw me.

Now, what do you do? What do I do? How do you thank such generosity? Who carries around a $100 bill in their wallet? And who has the sudden thought to give it to a cousin they barely know? And how would he have known he would run into my parents on that particular day?

I sat there stunned as the emotions took over. The world is full of such good, giving people. I want to be one of them who doesn't blink an eye about giving of my substance, my time, my self.

Tim and I now have a special relationship in my heart unbeknownst to even him. I will always remember him for his Christlike thoughtfulness who followed through on a thought he had.

No comments: