06 July 2008

My first 5k

I did it!
Last fall my sisters, dad, and I decided to run the Peach Days 5k Fun Run which happens in September. I knew I had a year to get ready. The first time I went running I didn't make it too far. But I gradually increased my distance until I was running 3 miles. Erik and Kiersten have been running several races a summer, so I decided to sign myself up (along with Nate) to run the 5k in Grantsville on the 4th of July.

My two goals:
1. not to finish last
2. run the entire way without stopping

I was even more pleased to learn the course was mainly downhill. What I didn't anticipate was that running downhill requires you to use different muscles. Even though I stretched I am still very sore. I finished with a time of 31:56 (still not quite sure if that was right, but being in a race and downhill might have made the difference). The day could not have been better. Even though it was forecast to hit 102 degrees (which it did, I think), the morning was overcast with a slight breeze. It made running so much better.


Kiersten, Erik, and Nate along with their cousins Scott and Jeremy ran the mile race. Erik finished 6th overall and 3rd in his age division behind Scott. Nate surprised us all and finished 24th overall and 2nd in his age division behind Jeremy. Kiersten finished the race at 26th overall. I was so pleased with all of them for doing so well. Jason came in 1st place in the 5k, and Elisa took 1st place in her age division. What a family of winners!

No comments: